Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Module two. Lists.

Moving on to lists now, which bothers me a bit as I have yet to work out the difference between a newsgroup and a list. Every now and then I read someones explanation and I think I can see the light. Then I read another that seems to contradict it and I'm back to square one.
Even when I went into yahoo groups as suggested, the list I selected first described itself as a newsgroup!
Anyway, we'll push on.
I did find a few interesting 'lists', particularily in the field of Fireballs (It's a boat) and boat restoration.
I noticed that some groups went to great pains to inform you right from the getgo that their list was moderated and spammers and undesirables were wasting their time. That was good to know. Here's an example;
ATTENTION SPAMMERS - There is no spam on this list - new members posts are MODERATED so no spam goes through - don't waste your time and mine!
I did, however find that when some of the lists were opened some of the posts had nothing whatsoever to do with the original topic.

I also took a look at liststopica.com. I entered the same topics here and found it not as good as the Yahoo groups. A search for boat restoration for instance turned up all sorts of stuff, just nothing to do with boat restoration.
I also experienced a lot of pain in the bum pop-ups while using this site.

No comments: